Get Inman via Facebook Messenger
Our top headlines delivered once a day.
by CareyBot

DEAR BOB: My mother died in 1988, and dad passed away in 2006. The house was, and still is, in my late mother's name alone. All dad did after mom's passing was continue to pay the property taxes on the house. A couple of other children belong to dad from a prior marriage. What needs to be legally done to clear the title to the house? --Mr. A.M. DEAR MR. A.M.: What a mess! If your mother's estate was never probated or distributed to her heirs, her will needs to be probated in the local probate court where she was a resident at the time of her death. That proceeding will determine if your late father received title to the house, or if her will left it to somebody else. Purchase Bob Bruss reports online. If mom didn't leave a written will distributing her assets, then her estate will pass ...