Get Inman via Facebook Messenger
Our top headlines delivered once a day.
by CareyBot

DEAR BOB: My husband has a terminal illness. I wonder how long I have after he passes away to take advantage of his $250,000 principal-residence-sale tax exemption. We have owned our home for 30 years and have no mortgage but a lot of equity, thanks to market-value appreciation. I want to stay in the home for a while, but I don't want to miss out on his exemption. --Geri D. DEAR GERI: Please don't rush to sell your home after your husband passes on. Making quick decisions after the death of a loved one is often a major mistake. Purchase Bob Bruss reports online. If you sell your home in the tax year of your husband's death, you can still use the $500,000 principal-residence-sale tax exemption for a married couple, thanks to Internal Revenue Code 121. That's presuming you both met the 24...