Thornburg Mortgage Inc. said Tuesday that its third-quarter losses on sales of securities backed by adjustable-rate mortgages totaled $1.099 billion, $236 million more than previous estimates.

The increase was due primarily to receipt of the actual sales price on asset liquidations conducted by third-party financing counterparties, as opposed to sales conducted by the company itself, Thornburg officials said in a press release.

Losses also increased because Thornburg sold an additional $1.6 billion in mortgage-backed securities (MBS) beyond the $20.4 billion estimate the company issued Aug. 17. Thornburg also reported a $6 million impairment charge on one mortgage-backed security backed by pay-option adjustable-rate mortgages (ARMs).

“It’s important to note that the earlier loss estimates previously announced by the company were based on the best information available to us at the time,” Thornburg President and Chief Executive Officer Larry Goldstone said in a statement. “In many cases, where sales were conducted by counter parties instead of by us, we did not have sale price documentation and had to rely on our estimates of sale prices and the application of proceeds.”

Goldstone warned that Thornburg continues to collect information from third parties and that there could be further changes to the estimates when third-quarter earnings are released Oct. 16.

Thornburg also estimated the loss in market value of its securities portfolio at $286 million, up from a previous estimate of $262 million.

The Santa Fe, N.M.-based company, which describes itself as a “super-prime” mortgage lender focused on jumbo and super-jumbo ARM loans, said its mortgage securities portfolio consists of 94 percent agency, AAA- and AA-rated mortgage-backed securities, with the remaining 6 percent of MBS rated below AA. An estimated 0.27 percent of loans in its portfolio were seriously delinquent as of Sept. 30, up from 0.23 percent at the end of July.

“These investments are performing consistently with the long-term historical experience of similarly rated securities, and none of the ratings have been downgraded by any rating agency as a result of recent rating agency activity,” the company said.

Goldstone said Thornburg has begun to see a “modest improvement” in financing conditions since August. “Despite the greater than previously reported losses, we believe we have adequate liquidity to support our current borrowings portfolio and excess capital to continue to fund new loans and to opportunistically purchase and finance other high-quality mortgage assets, provided market conditions do not deteriorate further,” he said.

Show Comments Hide Comments


Sign up for Inman’s Morning Headlines
What you need to know to start your day with all the latest industry developments
By submitting your email address, you agree to receive marketing emails from Inman.
Thank you for subscribing to Morning Headlines.
Back to top
Only 3 days left to register for Inman Connect Las Vegas before prices go up! Don't miss the premier event for real estate pros.Register Now ×
Limited Time Offer: Get 1 year of Inman Select for $199SUBSCRIBE×
Log in
If you created your account with Google or Facebook
Don't have an account?
Forgot your password?
No Problem

Simply enter the email address you used to create your account and click "Reset Password". You will receive additional instructions via email.

Forgot your username? If so please contact customer support at (510) 658-9252

Password Reset Confirmation

Password Reset Instructions have been sent to

Subscribe to The Weekender
Get the week's leading headlines delivered straight to your inbox.
Top headlines from around the real estate industry. Breaking news as it happens.
15 stories covering tech, special reports, video and opinion.
Unique features from hacker profiles to portal watch and video interviews.
Unique features from hacker profiles to portal watch and video interviews.
It looks like you’re already a Select Member!
To subscribe to exclusive newsletters, visit your email preferences in the account settings.
Up-to-the-minute news and interviews in your inbox, ticket discounts for Inman events and more
1-Step CheckoutPay with a credit card
By continuing, you agree to Inman’s Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

You will be charged . Your subscription will automatically renew for on . For more details on our payment terms and how to cancel, click here.

Interested in a group subscription?
Finish setting up your subscription