Get Inman via Facebook Messenger
Our top headlines delivered once a day.
by CareyBot

Q: My landlord ignores my repeated requests for repairs. Can I get things fixed and take it out of the rent? A: Yes and no. Yes, the remedy known as "repair and deduct" does exist as an option for renters living in a multitude of states. It is a last resort to consider after exhausting all other options. No, you can't just skip paying the rent and start wielding a hammer. Like all laws, there's a procedure to follow to avoid getting into hot water and getting scorched by landlord retaliation. Consulting with a legal resource such as an attorney, mediator or tenant organization is vital. First, get organized by listing and photographing the offending conditions. A step by step path that may resolve the problem with your landlord is offered through various sources, including a joi...