Get Inman via Facebook Messenger
Our top headlines delivered once a day.
by CareyBot

Q: I've lived for years in a spacious studio apartment and now find it necessary to hire a live-in aide. I'd like to move to a two-bedroom, but I can't afford it. Can I expect my landlord to offer me the two-bedroom at the same rate I'm paying now, because I'm disabled? He's refusing, and he's also saying that having two people in my studio violates his occupancy policy. Do I have any legal answers to either of these positions? --Patricia U. A: Your ability to press your case as a disabled person will depend on whether you can establish that you are disabled within the legal definition. If your doctor or other care provider will say that you are substantially limited in one or more major life activities, you'll satisfy that requirement. If it's obvious that you meet that standar...