We’ll add more market news briefs throughout the day. Check back to read the latest.
- The average interest rate on all mortgage loans was 3.91 percent, up 27 basis points from 3.64 in November.
- The average interest rate on conventional, 30-year, fixed-rate mortgages of $417,000 or less was 4.08 percent, up 28 basis points from 3.80 in November.
- The average loan amount for all loans was $319,100 in December, up $4,400 from $314,700 in November.
- The frequency of defects, fraudulence and misrepresentation in the information submitted in mortgage loan applications increased 1.5 percent in December as compared with November.
- Compared to December 2015, the Defect Index decreased by 9.2 percent.
- The Defect Index is down 32.4 percent from the high point of risk in October 2013.
How to launch your career in high-end real estate
A leading agent shares you how can stand out from the crowd READ MORE
- 30-year fixed-rate mortgage (FRM) averaged 4.19 percent with an average 0.4 point for the week ending Jan. 26, 2017.
- This is up from last week when it averaged 4.09 percent.
- A year ago at this time, the 30-year FRM averaged 3.79 percent.
- Sales of new single-family houses in December 2016 were at a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 536,000.
- This is 10.4 percent below the revised November rate of 598,000 and 0.4 percent below the December 2015 estimate of 538,000.
- The median sales price of new houses sold in December 2016 was $322,500; the average sales price was $384,000.
Home equity rates:
Most recent market news:
- U.S. house prices rose in November, up 0.5 percent on a seasonally adjusted basis from the previous month.
- The previously reported 0.4 percent increase in October was revised downward to a 0.3 percent increase.
- From November 2015 to November 2016, house prices were up 6.1 percent.
- Mortgage applications increased 4.0 percent from one week earlier for the week ending January 20, 2017.
- The refinance share of mortgage activity decreased to 50.0 percent of total applications, the lowest level since July 2015, from 53.0 percent the previous week.
- The average contract interest rate for 30-year fixed-rate mortgages with conforming loan balances increased to 4.35 percent from 4.27 percent.
Email market reports to email@example.com.