Instagram is king in some of the hottest markets — some would say it’s a gateway to the millennial buyer (with older and younger generations joining each day). Here are five easy ways to make your next listing Instagram-ready and capitalize on the attention it deserves.
A new listing brings about much excitement, and if marketed correctly, it could potentially lead to added business with both buyers and sellers. Showcasing the property at hand is not only important for the clients you’re representing, but also the brand you should be trying to build.
Social media has played an instrumental role in the real estate industry for a number of years, and in some of the hottest markets, Instagram is king — some would say it’s a gateway to the millennial buyer with older and younger generations joining each day. Here are five easy ways to make your next listing Instagram ready and capitalize on the attention it deserves.
1. Let there be “natural” light
One of the best ways to showcase the beauty of a home is to let in as much natural light as possible. This will make the space look bigger and more inviting, which ultimately makes for better photo quality and sets a great tone for the house. Living rooms and bedrooms especially benefit from this.
2. Add a pop of color
Photos taken are only as good as what’s displayed in them. Adding decor with color, or making the most of an accent wall or ceiling, can really change the mood of a room and make the picture that much better.
This is certainly true for colors that are a total contrast to each other. Adding something as simple as a jar of lemons to a mostly-white background or capturing a unique color on a ceiling draws the eye’s attention — and that can translate extremely well on Instagram.
3. Keep out the essentials
Unless your listing is being staged by a professional stager, it’s up to you as the agent to know what should stay and what should go. With the goal being to maximize the size of each space and also help buyers envision themselves living in the home, it’s important to only display essential items that will do the home justice.
For example, with counters and tabletops, you can use the 80/20 rule. Keeping roughly 80 percent of the surface bare and laying out items on the other 20 percent will help to create even balance and flow.
4. Wall art does wonders
Walls are like a giant paint canvas, and leaving them bare won’t do your photos justice. They add character to a house and can set the mood for a room. Have your sellers trade out the family photos for unique pieces. Abstract paintings are always a hit, but maybe your client has a favorite artist or one you can recommend.
In photos, wall art instantly makes the space feel more sophisticated and comfortable, which is exactly what you want for that potential buyer.
5. Tell a story and create a hashtag
Easier said than done, isn’t it? I’ve seen way too many agents post a photo of what looks to be an interesting room only to find out the address, asking price and who to contact for details in the description. While that info is great, don’t miss out on the opportunity to tell a story.
In addition, create a unique hashtag for the property and tie it into all of your commentary. It’s something that can be easily searched on Instagram and connected back to you.
This is your chance to go a bit deeper with the audience — talk about the character of the home. What makes it so unique? How did that space come to be? What materials were used? It’s a conversation starter that can lead to a lot of comments and discussion.
In many cases, new listings are only as good as the marketer behind them. Following these five tips will not only showcase your new listing well in reality, but help brand you as a player in your real estate market on Instagram as well.