Here are some more arrows for your quiver the next time a seller questions your local experience. (Stay tuned for a new survey question Wednesday!)
Last week, Inman surveyed readers for their best responses to sellers when they say: “You haven’t sold any houses in our area.”
Reader-recommended rebuttals ran the spectrum. They included pointing out the universality of your sales system, arguing that you can access all the data you need, saying that you’re familiar with the area thanks to working with buyers and claiming that your office’s experience more than compensates.
Here are some of our favorites. Be sure to only use those that genuinely match your capabilities, values and experience.
My system still works
- While I have not sold any homes in this neighborhood, I have sold hundreds of homes, and my proven marketing system will work here, just like it has in so many other great neighborhoods like yours.
- The skills required to get your home sold are not specific to your market. I can demonstrate a thorough working knowledge of your market, which will allow me to devise a strong pricing strategy, tailor our marketing activities and focus on a successful outcome. Because I have success in other markets, I can also cross-promote and bring new eyes to this market which may be of great benefit to you. Lastly, I have something to prove, and in doing so, I intend to have you as my source of future referrals in building more business in this market.
- I have sold homes from Point “A” to Point “B.” It does not matter where the home is located, my sales and marketing process remains the same. I will learn everything about your home and it’s neighborhood.
- I understand your concern, but let me assure you that while our team may not have sold a home in your specific area yet, we have a proven system that works across the board — in all areas. Because of this system, we can confidently tell you that we can more effectively represent and sell your home than even the agent whose signs you have seen at several neighbor’s houses or who lives down the road
I really, really know what I’m doing
- That’s true, but I would like to point out that the area isn’t everything. If you notice I sell over 60 homes a year. There’s a good reason for that. I am a great salesmen, and a great salesmen can sell anything anywhere
- I have sold approximately (X) properties in my career, and I have all the tools to help you obtain the highest price the market has to offer today.
I know this area from buyer clients
- Actually I have quite a few buyers in your area, so I have made it a priority to understand your area and all of the advantages of living in your community, such as schools, council and commercial advantage.
- I sure haven’t! But I’ve been in and out of the area with a number of buyers and have been researching the benefits of living in your area for them. And your area is extremely marketable. Do you know what I’ve found? (Mention attributes of the area that would wow them.)
I have the data
- I completely understand where you are coming from, I’ve had other clients say that very same thing. Can I ask you a couple quick questions? Are you looking for a Realtor who has sold homes only in your area or a Realtor that has sold hundreds of homes all over and has vast knowledge about your area and the city in whole? You see 10-15 years ago we had to be an area or community expert as we didn’t have what we have now like the internet, videos, etc. Fortunately for us in today’s world, we have more tools at our fingertips than we have ever had, this allows my team and I to quickly understand your neighborhood and any others — within minutes, not days or months.
- I am an experienced expert at analyzing market data, no matter the neighborhood, and I can help you properly price your home, as well as expertly advise you on how to prepare, stage and market your home for the fastest possible sale. This experience and expertise is why I can sell homes in any neighborhood.
- I don’t have to — to know how to analyze the data about this market and turn it into actionable information. The numbers speak for themselves.
- Well (insert name of seller), you can see my track record with other areas, and honestly, with the internet today, there is an over abundance of information right at my fingertips about your area, which I would use to properly list, market and sell your home.
I have expertise to draw on — from others
- My office sold (X) homes in your neighborhood just in the past year. All agents in my office help each other. With me, you are in the good hands.
- I have lived in this area for many years. I am familiar with the area. I sell real estate all over the city and do not limit myself to one area. I also have agents in my office who will be a great resource for us as you list your house.
- I work for the largest real estate firm in our market. We sell houses in all areas. I personally have handled over 1,500 transactions in the past 25 years, therefore, my experience and that of my company’s will represent you in the most professional manner possible.
Did we miss anything? If you have a great objection handler for “I want to look at houses, but I don’t want to commit to an agent,” please share in the comments below.
Editor’s note: These responses were given anonymously and therefore are not attributed to anyone specifically. Responses were also edited for grammar and clarity. Inman doesn’t endorse any specific method, and regulations may change from state to state.