West Coast Editor
Inman News (View all jobs)
Anywhere in the U.S.Apply Now
The real estate community around the world turns to Inman first for accurate, innovative, and timely coverage of the most important news and information. Known for its award-winning journalism, cutting-edge technology coverage and forward-thinking events, Inman is the industry’s leading resource for professionals.
Inman is hiring a new West Coast editor to help edit, publish, and occasionally write news articles on the residential real estate industry. In a typical day, you’ll see a wide range of stories—from breaking industry news to reviews of new products and services to service-oriented features. It’s a fast-paced job covering a rapidly evolving and vibrant industry.
This is a full-time, remote position with competitive salary and benefits.
The ideal candidate is someone with experience editing and writing in a fast-paced digital or daily news environment who loves to break stories, is collaborative and enjoys working with a mix of staff writers and freelance contributors, and relishes publishing articles that drive national conversation. Thanks to new VC money, real estate news and tech have never been more exciting. Come join our team and help tell the industry’s most interesting stories.
- Edit multiple news articles daily (4-10) of varying length and subject matter within real estate
- Work with three staff writers to conceive, commission, and edit their daily and enterprise news pieces
- Develop and work source contacts at leading real estate tech companies including Zillow, Redfin, Realogy, and more for information
- Work with three staff editors to conceive, prioritize, and claim assignments
- Work with multiple regular freelance contributors to evaluate and approve or reject pitches, receive copy, place copy into WordPress, and publish articles
- Contact sources to fact-check or do follow-up interviews and conversations on articles
- Verify statistics and claims in an article
- Help maintain editorial calendar, schedule, and story-tracker on Trello
- Assist with editorial planning and providing quick editing during live events including Inman Connect NY, Inman Connect SF, and others
- Willing to travel to real estate conferences and news events
Key Skills & Knowledge
- 2+ years experience as an editor or writer in a digital or daily newsroom
- Comfortable editing assignments of all lengths, from 200-300 word briefs to 2,000+ word enterprise stories
- Experience editing copy for typos and factual errors
- Ability to track multiple complex projects simultaneously
- Strong editorial judgement: knowing when there is enough information to publish, how to properly cite primary and secondary sources, and how to use language precisely
- Familiarity with Trello and WordPress a plus, but not required
- Attention to detail
- Timeliness and ability to meet deadlines (or beat them)
- Team-player: ability to work with editors, writers, developers, social media editors, video editors, designers and illustrators
- Digital savvy (familiarity with online media publishing and platforms)
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- Familiarity with Google Apps (Gmail, Google Docs, Google Calendar, Google Hangouts/Meet)
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office