By RICHARD AND BETH WITT
1. Be careful in implementing rules learned from mentors who are not where you want to be in net worth, happiness, family, fun and peace. You won’t know, so ask a lot of questions!
2. When you are being sold an expensive or time-consuming solution for a small real estate business problem, just say “no!”
3. The fastest way to move and stay at the head of the class is to spend no less than two hours every day on seller lead generation.
4. Most average agents are great in great markets. Only great agents are great in rotten markets. Great agents are not born: They are trained.
5. Huge deposits cure most closing problems.
6. Net is more important than gross.
7. Continuing education credits may not teach you how to sell more, make more and have happier clients. Don’t choose your training solely based on continuing education requirements.
8. Spend very little time or money generating buyer leads in any market. Spend it on generating seller leads.
9. Remember, you are in sales. You can’t help anyone until you understand the clients’ needs, offer solutions, ask for their business and overcome objections — in one sitting!
10. Hanging out with real estate agents in your town will make you little money.
11. Trust a lender to whom you give most of your business.
12. It’s 2014. We’re in an online real estate world: Get in the game or get out.
13. All great agents run out of energy. Invest in your future.
14. You work for free until closing, so get to the closing table as quickly as possible.
15. Establish a track record and constantly work on improving it.
16. Request a preapproval before showing a property.
17. Decide where you want to go. Say what you’ll do and do what you say. What you do matters much more than what you say you’re going to do.
This post by was originally published on ActiveRain. The Witts specialize in Long Island, New York, real estate for Re/Max Wittney Estates.