Homeowner dues fall short of fire coverage

Future-Proof: Navigate Threats, Seize Opportunities at ICNY 2018 | Jan 22-26 at the Marriott Marquis, Times Square, New York

DEAR BOB: I live in a condo complex where I recently received a $265 bill to pay for the fire insurance on the building. I have my own condo owner's insurance for my furnishings. But it seems to me the condo homeowner's association should pay for the building fire insurance premium out of our monthly association dues. Am I right or wrong? – Arlene C. DEAR ARLENE: You are right. The association is wrong to bill the individual condo owners for their share of the fire insurance premium. Purchase Bob Bruss reports online. The homeowner's association is responsible for maintaining and insuring the condo building. That includes carrying adequate fire and liability insurance. The premiums should be paid from the monthly assessments, which each condo owner pays to the association. Unless your condo homeowner's association is encountering financial hardship, perhaps due to an unexpected major expense, it should not be billing the individual condo owners for a proportionate share of t...