DEAR BOB: My late mother and I were joint tenants with right of survivorship for her house. It was her house, but her lawyer advised holding title in joint tenancy to avoid probate costs when she died. After title was transferred into my name, I decided to sell the house. But it required considerable fix-up work. I spent about $8,500 getting it ready for sale. The house really sparkled when the Realtor listed it for sale. To my surprise and pleasant shock, it sold for almost $7,000 above the asking price. My question is can I deduct the approximate $8,500 I spent on fix-up costs? – Andie H.

DEAR ANDIE: No. But you can add those capital improvement costs to your adjusted cost basis for the home.

Purchase Bob Bruss reports online.

Please consult your tax adviser to determine your “stepped-up basis” for the house you inherited. To that amount, you can add the $8,500 capital improvements you made.

Normally, if you had just spent a few hundred dollars on fix-up costs, there would be no tax consequence. But it sounds like you made major capital improvements to spend $8,500 on that house before selling it. The tax result is you should owe minimal capital gain tax on that inherited house sale.


DEAR BOB: I own an older house that shares a concrete driveway with the adjoining house to reach our garages, which are in our backyards. For more than 20 years, I’ve lived in my home and enjoyed cordial relations with the neighbor until she sold her house about a year ago. The new neighbor then built a new garage on the other side of his house so he no longer needed to use the shared driveway between our houses. He then constructed a chain link fence down the middle of the concrete driveway, making it impossible for me to drive my car to my garage. When I came home one day to find this new fence, he said he was tired of my waking him up at 7:30 a.m. when I drove on the shared driveway to work. What can I do? – Jerry T.

DEAR JERRY: Run, don’t walk, to the office of the best real estate lawyer in town. You need legal help to obtain an injunction to force your neighbor to remove that fence, which blocks access to the shared concrete driveway.

Your attorney will check the title to your property and your neighbor’s property. Both lots are probably subject to a mutual easement. If not, you probably have rights to a prescriptive easement to use the half of the driveway that is on your neighbor’s lot.


DEAR BOB: What do you think about the new “interest-only” home loans? Are they good or bad? Aaron T.

DEAR AARON: I’ve received several questions on this topic recently. Personally, I like and recommend interest-only mortgages for homeowners who plan to stay in their houses or condos less than 10 years.

The reason is the monthly payment is the minimum at the interest-only level. But the big drawback is an interest-only mortgage borrower never builds any equity in the property from paying down the mortgage balance.

That’s fine for short-time homeowners or real estate investors who look for their “profit” from market-value appreciation of the property. However, if you plan to stay in your home “forever,” then you probably would be better off with an amortized 30- or 15-year mortgage, which will be eventually paid off.

The new Robert Bruss special report, “Secrets of Buying Your Home or Investment Property for Virtually No Cash,” is now available for $4 from Robert Bruss, 251 Park Road, Burlingame, CA 94010 or by credit card at 1-800-736-1736 or instant Internet download at

(For more information on Bob Bruss publications, visit his
Real Estate Center


What’s your opinion? Send your Letter to the Editor to

Show Comments Hide Comments
Sign up for Inman’s Morning Headlines
What you need to know to start your day with all the latest industry developments
By submitting your email address, you agree to receive marketing emails from Inman.
Thank you for subscribing to Morning Headlines.
Back to top
Only 3 days left to register for Inman Connect Las Vegas before prices go up! Don't miss the premier event for real estate pros.Register Now ×
Limited Time Offer: Get 1 year of Inman Select for $199SUBSCRIBE×
Log in
If you created your account with Google or Facebook
Don't have an account?
Forgot your password?
No Problem

Simply enter the email address you used to create your account and click "Reset Password". You will receive additional instructions via email.

Forgot your username? If so please contact customer support at (510) 658-9252

Password Reset Confirmation

Password Reset Instructions have been sent to

Subscribe to The Weekender
Get the week's leading headlines delivered straight to your inbox.
Top headlines from around the real estate industry. Breaking news as it happens.
15 stories covering tech, special reports, video and opinion.
Unique features from hacker profiles to portal watch and video interviews.
Unique features from hacker profiles to portal watch and video interviews.
It looks like you’re already a Select Member!
To subscribe to exclusive newsletters, visit your email preferences in the account settings.
Up-to-the-minute news and interviews in your inbox, ticket discounts for Inman events and more
1-Step CheckoutPay with a credit card
By continuing, you agree to Inman’s Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

You will be charged . Your subscription will automatically renew for on . For more details on our payment terms and how to cancel, click here.

Interested in a group subscription?
Finish setting up your subscription