Home buyer wronged by real estate agent

Future-Proof: Navigate Threats, Seize Opportunities at ICNY 2018 | Jan 22-26 at the Marriott Marquis, Times Square, New York

DEAR BOB: Two months ago, I bought a house through a "buyer's agent." Her contract says she represents me. However, when negotiating the price and the terms regarding defects found by my professional home inspector, it became very apparent "my agent" was really working for the seller. She did not present the inspection report or my revised offer to the sellers. I did not find out until it was too late to walk away. It cost me several thousand extra dollars. As a "buyer's agent" she was paid a share of the listing agent's sales commission so there was a conflict of interest. What could I have done to protect myself? – Johanna S. DEAR JOHANNA: Presuming you had a written contract with your "buyer's agent," it probably specified the agent can be compensated by receiving part of the sales commission the seller paid to the listing agent. Purchase Bob Bruss reports online. This is customary. Who pays the buyer agent's commission is irrelevant for determining real estate agency loya...