Inspection contingency may save buyer from losing deposit

Future-Proof: Navigate Threats, Seize Opportunities at ICNY 2018 | Jan 22-26 at the Marriott Marquis, Times Square, New York

DEAR BOB: Your recent column containing a question from a home buyer who was worried about losing his $4,000 deposit because the house miserably failed the home inspection made me wonder why the buyer's agent didn't make the offer contingent on a satisfactory home inspection. Had he done so, there would be no problem and the buyer would have received his $4,000 refund with no hassle. Having been a Realtor since 1955 and still going strong at 80 with Century 21, after overcoming two heart attacks and colon cancer, your column is the main reason I subscribe to the newspaper to keep up to date. You give excellent advice and sometimes even jog my memory about a detail I might have forgotten – Thomas P. DEAR THOMAS: Thank you for your great letter. Congratulations on still selling homes at age 80 after 50 years in the business. I think you found a career you really enjoy. Purchase Bob Bruss reports online. You are 100 percent correct that a buyer's agent should recommend th...