Fed up with listing agent? It’s time for confrontation

Future-Proof: Navigate Threats, Seize Opportunities at ICNY 2018 | Jan 22-26 at the Marriott Marquis, Times Square, New York

DEAR BOB: What recourse does a home seller have against a "deadbeat real estate agent"? Knowing we are in a buyer's market, I signed a listing with a high-profile realty agent professing to have great marketing skills and a fabulous sales record. What I wound up with was an agent who put up the for-sale sign, listed my home on the MLS (multiple listing service), and then disappeared. No communication, no updates about marketing, and more important, no showings. Can I cancel the listing contract with no penalty and list with another more competent agent? --Suzanne Z. DEAR SUZANNE: Your report is shocking. It sounds like you listed your home with a "numbers agent" who takes lots of listings, knowing only some of them will sell. Purchase Bob Bruss reports online. Before giving up on your listing agent, phone him to discuss the situation. Ask why he didn't have a broker's tour for local agents. Ask what specific advertising he is doing for your home. Ask when he will be holding weekend ope...