Losing sleep over asbestos

How much exposure to 'popcorn' ceilings is dangerous?

Learn the New Luxury Playbook at Luxury Connect | October 18-19 at the Beverly Hills Hotel

Dear Barry, I have not had a good night's sleep since reading a recent article about asbestos. We've lived in our home for 30 years and have "popcorn" ceilings. I remember when we hung our swag lamp we could see fibers falling when we drilled holes. After all these years, is it too late to have the "popcorn" removed or are we already doomed? Some companies offer asbestos testing if you send them a sample, but is it safe for us to remove the sample ourselves? --Peggy Dear Peggy, You are not doomed. The belief that small or periodic exposure to asbestos fibers poses a major health risk has no factual basis. The connection between asbestos exposure and respiratory disease involves those who worked with asbestos materials on a daily basis, as manufacturers or installers. Large exposures to airborne asbestos fibers can cause lung cancer and other severe respiratory diseases, such as mesothelioma. But the mere presence of asbestos ceiling texture is not a cause for worry or alarm...