No renters insurance, no brain

Rent it Right

Q: While my son and his girlfriend were visiting us over the holidays, a water main in their apartment burst and flooded their apartment. All of their possessions — clothes, furniture, everything — was ruined by the water or the resulting mold. Is the landlord responsible for replacing these items? –Sharon P.

A: If your son had renters insurance, the answer to your question would be short and sweet: Call the agent and file a claim. Renters insurance, which typically costs just a few hundred dollars a year, will cover the damage you’ve described.