Get Inman via Facebook Messenger
Our top headlines delivered once a day.
by CareyBot

Q: I have a small apartment in my basement that I rent out. The renter cooks with high heat and a lot of oil, and now there is a strong smell coming up from the apartment, and everything is covered with grease. We are cleaning up, and now I want to install a range hood. What is the minimum CFM you would recommend for this, and will it take care of the grease problem?--Diane S. A: Opinions vary somewhat on how many cubic feet per minute (CFM) is required for spot ventilation devices such as a range hood, but 100 to 150 CFM is the airflow number most commonly used. Don't go too much larger than that, since getting a unit with an excessive amount of CFM can create drafts around windows and doors, and can cause back drafting problems from combustion appliances. Remember that the hood must be v...