Get Inman via Facebook Messenger
Our top headlines delivered once a day.
by CareyBot

DEAR BOB: I am selling a condo that is in my daughter's name. I have lived in the condo for the last seven years and paid the mortgage payments. The sale will close the first of next month. It will show up as a $120,000 capital gain for my daughter. Can she use the sales proceeds to pay for another house for me to live in and claim it as a gift? --Sandra R. DEAR SANDRA: Because the condo was not your daughter's principal residence at least 24 of the 60 months before its sale, she is not qualified for the Internal Revenue Code 121 tax exemption up to $250,000. Purchase Bob Bruss reports online. Since your name is not on the title to the condo, although you paid the mortgage payments, you are also not eligible for the $250,000 tax exemption. Therefore, when the condo sale closes, your daught...