Get Inman via Facebook Messenger
Our top headlines delivered once a day.
by CareyBot

Q: I manage a mid-sized apartment complex, and have recently been asked by a prospect who uses a wheelchair for a parking space next to the unit she is considering. We can do that, though we have a waiting list for parking, but it will involve reassigning other tenants' parking spaces, buying signs and painting the pavement, and creating curb cuts. Who pays for all this work? --Sean D. A: Requests from tenants and prospects with disabilities fall into one of two categories. A request for a structural change to the property is a modification request, while a request that you change, make an exception to, or adjust a rule, policy, practice or service is an accommodation request. Generally, tenants pay for modifications (except in Massachusetts and in federally financed buildings) a...