DEAR BARRY: I just purchased a home and am disappointed with the home inspector I hired. The first time I used the air conditioner, water dripped from the bedroom ceiling. My contractor found a broken air conditioner pipe in the attic. Besides that, there is a switch next to the living room fireplace that turns off the outlets in the master bedroom. The seller must have turned this off before moving out, because there was no power in the bedroom when I moved in. I had to hire an electrician to figure this out. It seems that the inspector didn't even inspect the fireplace, or he would have found the switch.
So far, I've paid $347 for the contractor and the electrician. Shouldn't the home inspector pay for these repairs? --Suzanne