Rental rights for foreign students?

Rent it Right
Published on Oct 28, 2010

Watch Connect NYC 2017 Live
Tune in live as the best and brightest explain how to execute and grow your business from the main stage of Connect.

Q: I'm a foreign student studying here on a student visa. I've lived in a rent-controlled apartment for two years, and just now got a rent increase that's a lot larger than the rent board allows. My landlord claims he can do this because my status as a foreigner means that I can't claim the protection of the rent-control ordinance. Isn't that discriminatory? --Larry S.

A: Your landlord has hit on a novel argument to support taking you out of the protection of rent control. Whether he can succeed will depend on the wording of the rent-control law and, ultimately, the judgment of a court.