Homeowner evades insurance-claim stigma

Future-Proof: Navigate Threats, Seize Opportunities at ICNY 2018 | Jan 22-26 at the Marriott Marquis, Times Square, New York

DEAR BOB: I read your recent article about homeowner's insurance and your advice to never file a small homeowner's claim. I had exactly the opposite experience. I have had my homeowner's and car insurance with State Farm for many years and have never had a problem with them. When we moved into our home, within the first two or three years, we had to file claims for a new roof because of hail damage, a new kitchen floor because of a leaking refrigerator, and fixing a leaking shower. All of these claims have been filed since 1991. At no time has State Farm ever threatened to cancel my insurance policies. Frankly, I think any insurance agent who cautions a customer not to file a claim should be reported to the insurance company for unethical behavior. Just my two cents worth – Elyse M. DEAR ELYSE: You have been very fortunate. Many insurance companies have been "non-renewing" homeowner's insurance policies when two or three claims were paid within the last few years. Purchase Bob...