Homesickness overwhelms student’s ability to pay rent

Future-Proof: Navigate Threats, Seize Opportunities at ICNY 2018 | Jan 22-26 at the Marriott Marquis, Times Square, New York

Question: My husband signed a 12-month lease for my daughter when she went off to college. Unfortunately, within her first two months away from home she developed severe depression and we sent her to both a psychologist and a psychiatrist, as she is unable to get out of bed even with medication. After talking with her psychologist we agreed we better bring her home to live with her for her own safety. She has had to drop all of her classes at college and before this had a 3.0 grade-point average. We need to get out of her lease and spoke to the manager who told us that we would have to pay for 60 days' rent. Further, we must pay back the first month's rent that was free with the lease plus a $250 bonus coupon that was used on the second month's rent. This totals more than $3,500 just to break the lease. Can you help us think of a legal way to get out of the lease? Property Manager Griswold replies: No, I can't. You may want to seek legal advice who can actually look at your documents...