DEAR BOB: I recently attended a real estate seminar conducted by an attorney. She said that even vacation-homeowners who have never rented their second homes can qualify for an Internal Revenue Code 1031 tax-deferred exchange of such property because they held it as an investment property in expectation of an increase in market value. Do you agree? How can I substantiate this position? – Joe P.

DEAR JOE: No, I don’t agree with my fellow attorney. Ask if she has any Tax Court decisions or other basis to support her opinion. I will be very surprised if she has any credible support for her position.

Purchase Bob Bruss reports online.

Rental property and even vacant land can qualify for IRC 1031 tax-deferred exchanges. The reason is they are clearly held for investment or use in a trade or business, as required by IRC 1031. But a personal use vacation or second home doesn’t fit into that tax category. For more details, please consult your tax adviser.


DEAR BOB: I own four vacant unimproved residential lots, which I purchased as an investment about a year ago. I will be moving and buying a home within the next two months. Can I roll the capital gains from the sale of my lots into the purchase of a new home without paying capital gains tax on my profit? – Lance M.

DEAR LANCE: Yes, but the house acquired must be used as a rental property. After a year or so of rental use, you can then convert it to your personal residence without owing any tax. Please consult your tax adviser for full details.


DEAR BOB: I want to sell my apartment building. But I don’t know how to write an attractive ad or what publications I should use. Any suggestions? – Henry S.

DEAR HENRY: Writing a newspaper classified ad to sell your apartment building is just the first of many problems to anticipate in selling your building alone.

Suppose you obtain an interested buyer. How will you prepare a binding purchase contract? How will you know the fair market value of your building?

My best suggestion is you list your apartment building with a professional real estate agent who specializes in selling property like yours. The sales commission will be worth the expense to have the property properly marketed with all the details correctly handled so you receive top dollar for your property. Selling an apartment building is definitely not a do-it-yourself job.

The new Robert Bruss special report, “24 Key Questions Answered: Living Trust Secrets Reveal How to Avoid Probate Costs and Delays,” is now available for $5 from Robert Bruss, 251 Park Road, Burlingame, CA 94010 or by credit card at 1-800-736-1736 or instant Internet PDF delivery at Questions for this column are welcome at either address.

(For more information on Bob Bruss publications, visit his
Real Estate Center


What’s your opinion? Send your Letter to the Editor to

Show Comments Hide Comments


Sign up for Inman’s Morning Headlines
What you need to know to start your day with all the latest industry developments
By submitting your email address, you agree to receive marketing emails from Inman.
Thank you for subscribing to Morning Headlines.
Back to top
Only 3 days left to register for Inman Connect Las Vegas before prices go up! Don't miss the premier event for real estate pros.Register Now ×
Limited Time Offer: Get 1 year of Inman Select for $199SUBSCRIBE×
Log in
If you created your account with Google or Facebook
Don't have an account?
Forgot your password?
No Problem

Simply enter the email address you used to create your account and click "Reset Password". You will receive additional instructions via email.

Forgot your username? If so please contact customer support at (510) 658-9252

Password Reset Confirmation

Password Reset Instructions have been sent to

Subscribe to The Weekender
Get the week's leading headlines delivered straight to your inbox.
Top headlines from around the real estate industry. Breaking news as it happens.
15 stories covering tech, special reports, video and opinion.
Unique features from hacker profiles to portal watch and video interviews.
Unique features from hacker profiles to portal watch and video interviews.
It looks like you’re already a Select Member!
To subscribe to exclusive newsletters, visit your email preferences in the account settings.
Up-to-the-minute news and interviews in your inbox, ticket discounts for Inman events and more
1-Step CheckoutPay with a credit card
By continuing, you agree to Inman’s Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

You will be charged . Your subscription will automatically renew for on . For more details on our payment terms and how to cancel, click here.

Interested in a group subscription?
Finish setting up your subscription