Unrecorded quitclaim deed could benefit former homeowner

Transferring property title not always a done deal

Learn the New Luxury Playbook at Luxury Connect | October 18-19 at the Beverly Hills Hotel

DEAR BOB: How can I find out the details of a quitclaim deed I signed in an attorney's office in 1990? I found out recently it was never recorded. The attorney at whose office I signed the quitclaim has since retired and I don't remember his name. The quitclaim was for a property that belonged to a bank, which has since gone out of business. The property title is now held by the city. What should I do next? --Andrea F. DEAR ANDREA: A quitclaim deed conveys whatever title the grantor owned in that property. But it provides no warranties or guarantees. Quitclaim deeds are often used in divorces where neither party wants to incur any liability or make any representations. Purchase Bob Bruss reports online. A quitclaim deed can convey full fee-simple absolute title, or it can convey nothing at all. For example, suppose you pay me $1,000 for my quitclaim deed to the Empire State Building. You record that deed in New York City. However, you just got swindled because I don't own any interest...