DEAR BOB: My dad died about six months ago. He was the surviving joint-tenant owner of the house where he and my mother lived for 34 years. She died in 1998. I am their only child. But my father did not leave a will. As I live about 600 miles away, I have no use for the house and want to sell it. However, a local probate attorney tells me that because there was no will or a living trust, a probate court proceeding is required. He said there is an expedited procedure, but it will take about six months, maybe longer. His fee, according to the state statute, will be about $6,400. This seems like a waste of time and money. Is this information correct? –Matt W.

DEAR MATT: Your dad died “intestate” without a written will, so his estate must be probated according to the state law of intestate succession where he resided. That requires notifying his possible creditors to file any claims, as well as checking to be sure there aren’t any other relatives entitled to a possible inheritance.

Purchase Bob Bruss reports online.

Of course, this could have been avoided if your late father placed his major assets, including title to the house, into a revocable living trust to avoid probate court costs and delays.

Before hiring that probate attorney, I suggest you politely ask if he can reduce his fee because this estate is so simple. Many probate attorneys will lower their fees if you ask. If he refuses, unless this is a complicated estate, you might want to consult several other local probate attorneys to compare their fees.


DEAR BOB: Does every home sale require an appraisal? I plan to pay cash –Mung L.

DEAR MUNG: If you are paying all cash for a home, and no new mortgage will be obtained, there is no need for a professional appraisal. However, if you will be obtaining a new mortgage to help pay for your home, the mortgage lender will arrange for a professional appraisal.


DEAR BOB: I own a condo in a small six-unit homeowner’s association. We all get along very well, except for one owner. She is kind of a “hippie” who is often gone for weeks and even months. Her monthly condo assessment fee is $423 per month and it is now delinquent for 11 months. This is a big drain on our association’s budget. As the treasurer, I am wondering what we can do to collect this money? –Ken R.

DEAR KEN: You and your fellow condo owners have been patient far too long with that owner who doesn’t pay her monthly fees.

I suggest you consult a local real estate attorney who specializes in condominium law. It will be necessary to record a lien against the deadbeat’s condo title and then foreclose on that lien. The procedure is similar to foreclosing on an unpaid mortgage. Of course, the attorney’s fees should be added to the amount of the unpaid lien.

Starting the condo lien foreclosure procedure should bring payment. However, if the situation results in a foreclosure sale of the condo for the unpaid lien amount, plus costs, that’s the owner’s problem.

The new Robert Bruss special report, “Pros and Cons of Today’s Five Best Real Estate Profit Opportunities,” is now available for $5 from Robert Bruss, 251 Park Road, Burlingame, CA 94010 or by credit card at 1-800-736-1736 or instant Internet delivery at Questions for this column are welcome at either address.

(For more information on Bob Bruss publications, visit his
Real Estate Center

Show Comments Hide Comments


Sign up for Inman’s Morning Headlines
What you need to know to start your day with all the latest industry developments
By submitting your email address, you agree to receive marketing emails from Inman.
Thank you for subscribing to Morning Headlines.
Back to top
Only 3 days left to register for Inman Connect Las Vegas before prices go up! Don't miss the premier event for real estate pros.Register Now ×
Limited Time Offer: Get 1 year of Inman Select for $199SUBSCRIBE×
Log in
If you created your account with Google or Facebook
Don't have an account?
Forgot your password?
No Problem

Simply enter the email address you used to create your account and click "Reset Password". You will receive additional instructions via email.

Forgot your username? If so please contact customer support at (510) 658-9252

Password Reset Confirmation

Password Reset Instructions have been sent to

Subscribe to The Weekender
Get the week's leading headlines delivered straight to your inbox.
Top headlines from around the real estate industry. Breaking news as it happens.
15 stories covering tech, special reports, video and opinion.
Unique features from hacker profiles to portal watch and video interviews.
Unique features from hacker profiles to portal watch and video interviews.
It looks like you’re already a Select Member!
To subscribe to exclusive newsletters, visit your email preferences in the account settings.
Up-to-the-minute news and interviews in your inbox, ticket discounts for Inman events and more
1-Step CheckoutPay with a credit card
By continuing, you agree to Inman’s Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

You will be charged . Your subscription will automatically renew for on . For more details on our payment terms and how to cancel, click here.

Interested in a group subscription?
Finish setting up your subscription