Sell my home, win vacation, electronics!

Future-Proof: Navigate Threats, Seize Opportunities at ICNY 2018 | Jan 22-26 at the Marriott Marquis, Times Square, New York

DEAR BOB: Due to the slow home sales market in our area, we are having difficulty selling our home. Our listing agent suggests we offer "special incentives" such as a monetary bonus and/or a vacation to the buyer's agent who sells our house. She says this encourages other agents to show our house more often to their buyers. Is this ethical? It seems like blackmail to me, as we already signed a listing contract --Debra W. DEAR DEBRA: To combat the slow "buyer's market" in many communities, home sellers frequently offer special incentives to buyer's agents to show and sell their listed homes. Vacations, TVs, etc. are often given to buyer's agents to sell homes. Purchase Bob Bruss reports online. Recently, we had several items in this column where the home sellers raised the sales commission from 6 percent to 7 percent, with 4 percent going to the buyer's agent and 3 percent to the listing agent. That is another incentive to consider. However, before offering incentives to the selling age...