Wood floors ruin chances of renting condo

Future-Proof: Navigate Threats, Seize Opportunities at ICNY 2018 | Jan 22-26 at the Marriott Marquis, Times Square, New York

DEAR BOB: I own a rental condo. The owner of the unit above mine requested and was granted approval by the homeowners' association directors to install wood floors. I objected, but the condo directors still granted approval. Now my condo tenant is complaining about the noise from the upstairs condo. It sounds like the upstairs resident is in the same room. I have complained to the management company, with no results. The decision of the directors to allow the wood floors upstairs has made an impact on renting my condo. The condo board and the management company refuse to respond. What should I do? --Patty C. DEAR PATTY: I suggest you consult a local real estate attorney who is experienced with condominium law. At this point, it sounds like you haven't suffered any actual damages. But if you lose a tenant because of the noise from the upstairs unit, then you can prove your loss. Purchase Bob Bruss reports online. Have you talked with the upstairs resident to ask that rugs be placed o...