Do sellers need to have home inspection?

Future-Proof: Navigate Threats, Seize Opportunities at ICNY 2018 | Jan 22-26 at the Marriott Marquis, Times Square, New York

DEAR BOB: I plan to sell my home in the next few months. Is it wise to have a professional home inspector prepare a report before I list my house for sale so I can use his findings to help establish the sales price? One Realtor tells me I should not have the report made because if buyers rely only on his report, then I am liable if the inspector misses something. The Realtor says home buyers in my area usually will not have their own inspection done if I had one available and therefore I am taking on more liability. What is your opinion? --Mary B. DEAR MARY: I strongly disagree with that Realtor. Every home seller should have a pre-listing professional home inspection, as well as other customary local inspections, such as for termites, dry rot, energy efficiency, building-code compliance, etc. Purchase Bob Bruss reports online. Then you will know the condition of your home and if it has any serious defects you should repair before listing the home for sale. Savvy home buyers always hav...