My finished-basement horror story

Home buyer seeks recourse after defect repairs top $12,000

Learn the New Luxury Playbook at Luxury Connect | October 18-19 at the Beverly Hills Hotel

DEAR BOB: My daughter and her family purchased a 1970s ranch-style home after the professional inspector she hired gave it and the finished basement a clean bill of health. The seller even signed a "no water problems" statement in the closing papers. Within days, her sister noticed her fingers could go through the drywall in the cellar. The brand-new bathroom shower was not connected to the septic system, and also flooded the floor. Mold and water remediation followed, costing more than $12,000. The lawyer who handled the closing settlement won't help. What recourse does she have against the seller and inspector? --Sara C. DEAR SARA: Obviously, your daughter bought the house from a dishonest seller who signed a fraudulent defect disclosure statement. If the bathroom shower was new, she should have inquired if a building permit was obtained and if the local building inspector approved the work. The so-called professional home inspector hired by your daughter before the sal...