DEAR BOB: What is your opinion of TIC (tenancy-in-common) investments? Are they a good deal? I currently own a rental property worth about $1 million, with $800,000 in equity. My current net cash flow is about $11,000 per month. From what I have learned, a TIC “promises” increased cash flow and equity in grade A buildings. Do you recommend TICs or an independent Internal Revenue Code 1031 tax-deferred exchange into a larger building to increase my cash flow? –John D.

DEAR JOHN: If you make an Internal Revenue Code 1031 tax-deferred exchange into a TIC (tenancy-in-common) share of a large income property, such as an office building or a shopping center, you are at the mercy of the TIC syndicator and property manager who may be very good or very bad.

Purchase Bob Bruss reports online.

Check on the success record of the TIC company. Many have been in business only a few years without much of a track record. Also check on the quality of the commercial property tenants.

For example, I know TIC investors who are very happy with their TIC investments in several Applebee’s restaurant buildings where they have been receiving monthly checks for more than 10 years. But I also know a TIC investor in another restaurant chain’s building where the tenant filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy and canceled the lease on the now-vacant restaurant building.

Of course, you can instead make an IRC 1031 tax-deferred exchange into a larger income property with better cash flow. Then you get to manage and control the entire property, although I can’t say which is your better alternative.


DEAR BOB: We plan to sell our home in a few years. Then we will buy into a continuing-care retirement community, which requires a $125,000 founder’s fee. Will we be taxed on our home-sale profit because we are not buying another home? –Marion B.

DEAR MARION: No. Whether or not you purchase a replacement principal residence has nothing to do with your Internal Revenue Code 121 home-sale tax-exemption eligibility.

To qualify for the exemption up to $250,000 (up to $500,000 for a married couple when both spouses meet the occupancy test), you must own and occupy your principal residence at least 24 of the last 60 months before its sale. Full details are available from your tax adviser.


DEAR BOB: Does renting a room in my home turn my principal residence into rental property and cancel the $250,000 tax exemption when I decide to sell? –Shana N.

DEAR SHANA: No. Renting a room in your principal residence only affects the rental portion, which becomes ineligible for the IRC 121 tax exemption up to $250,000 (up to $500,000 for a qualified married couple).

However, at the time of home sale, any depreciation you deducted for the rental room is “recaptured” and taxed at the special 25 percent federal tax rate. Please consult your tax adviser for full details.

The new Robert Bruss special report, “Pros and Cons of Investing in Rental Houses and Condominiums,” is now available for $5 from Robert Bruss, 251 Park Road, Burlingame, Calif., 94010, or by credit card at 1-800-736-1736 or instant Internet delivery at Questions for this column are welcome at either address.

(For more information on Bob Bruss publications, visit his
Real Estate Center

Show Comments Hide Comments
Sign up for Inman’s Morning Headlines
What you need to know to start your day with all the latest industry developments
By submitting your email address, you agree to receive marketing emails from Inman.
Thank you for subscribing to Morning Headlines.
Back to top
Only 3 days left to register for Inman Connect Las Vegas before prices go up! Don't miss the premier event for real estate pros.Register Now ×
Limited Time Offer: Get 1 year of Inman Select for $199SUBSCRIBE×
Log in
If you created your account with Google or Facebook
Don't have an account?
Forgot your password?
No Problem

Simply enter the email address you used to create your account and click "Reset Password". You will receive additional instructions via email.

Forgot your username? If so please contact customer support at (510) 658-9252

Password Reset Confirmation

Password Reset Instructions have been sent to

Subscribe to The Weekender
Get the week's leading headlines delivered straight to your inbox.
Top headlines from around the real estate industry. Breaking news as it happens.
15 stories covering tech, special reports, video and opinion.
Unique features from hacker profiles to portal watch and video interviews.
Unique features from hacker profiles to portal watch and video interviews.
It looks like you’re already a Select Member!
To subscribe to exclusive newsletters, visit your email preferences in the account settings.
Up-to-the-minute news and interviews in your inbox, ticket discounts for Inman events and more
1-Step CheckoutPay with a credit card
By continuing, you agree to Inman’s Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

You will be charged . Your subscription will automatically renew for on . For more details on our payment terms and how to cancel, click here.

Interested in a group subscription?
Finish setting up your subscription