Home business could get you evicted

Future-Proof: Navigate Threats, Seize Opportunities at ICNY 2018 | Jan 22-26 at the Marriott Marquis, Times Square, New York

Question: I just drove by my rental house and noticed a sign in the front yard indicating that the tenant has applied for rezoning so he can conduct a software development business at the premises. The tenant never asked permission to do this. I feel this action is a breach of trust, and I have lost confidence in the tenant. In addition, I don't know how to monitor this activity in the future. Do you have a position on this circumstance and/or what action do you recommend on my part? James McKinley, an attorney for landlords, replies: Your tenant has no right to request a zoning change for property he is renting for residential purposes. Almost all residential leases will contain a provision stating that the premises are for residential use only, and that the residents may not conduct any sort of business or commercial activity at the premises. You should serve a three-day notice to perform covenant or quit. This notice should quote the paragraph in the lease prohibiting co...