Rental search site Rent.com has identified 10 metro areas it says are "wonderful places to create a fun and affordable lifestyle" for those just tying the knot. Six are in the South, including three in Texas; two are in the Midwest; and two are in the West. No metro in the Northeast made the list.

The site chose the metros based on availability of rental inventory, cost of living, annual average wages and unemployment rates. After choosing the top 25 markets by rental availability, the site compared the remaining three factors for the metro to national averages, giving unemployment double weight. The 10 resulting metros are not ranked in any particular order.

  • Austin, Texas
  • Raleigh-Durham, N.C.
  • Dallas
  • Kansas City, Mo.
  • Houston
  • Denver
  • Minneapolis
  • Phoenix
  • Washington, D.C.
  • Baltimore

In addition, market research firm RedShift Research conducted an online survey of 1,000 cohabiting couples in November 2010 on behalf of Rent.com. The vast majority of respondents were married, 92 percent, while 2 percent were engaged and 6 percent were neither.

According to the previously unreleased findings, 75 percent of all respondents reported that their quality of life had improved since moving in with their significant other, while the remaining 25 percent reported that they found cohabiting "stressful," the site said.

The principal stressors for this group included not having their own space (cited by 42 percent), sharing household expenses (33 percent), and divvying up household chores (25 percent).

A majority of all respondents, 62 percent, said their financial situation had improved as a result of moving in with their significant other.

When it came to combining household items, 62 percent of all respondents said they kept everything from both previous homes when moving in together. Nearly a fifth, 19 percent, said they got rid of almost everything previously owned and bought new items, according to Rent.com.

Show Comments Hide Comments

Comments

Sign up for Inman’s Morning Headlines
What you need to know to start your day with all the latest industry developments
Success!
Thank you for subscribing to Morning Headlines.
Back to top
Inman Connect Las Vegas is back and there are only a few presale tickets left! Register today before they're gone.REGISTER×
Log in
If you created your account with Google or Facebook
Don't have an account?
Forgot your password?
No Problem

Simply enter the email address you used to create your account and click "Reset Password". You will receive additional instructions via email.

Forgot your username? If so please contact customer support at (510) 658-9252

Password Reset Confirmation

Password Reset Instructions have been sent to

Subscribe to The Weekender
Get the week's leading headlines delivered straight to your inbox.
Top headlines from around the real estate industry. Breaking news as it happens.
15 stories covering tech, special reports, video and opinion.
Unique features from hacker profiles to portal watch and video interviews.
Unique features from hacker profiles to portal watch and video interviews.
It looks like you’re already a Select Member!
To subscribe to exclusive newsletters, visit your email preferences in the account settings.
Up-to-the-minute news and interviews in your inbox, ticket discounts for Inman events and more
1-Step CheckoutPay with a credit card
By continuing, you agree to Inman’s Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

You will be charged . Your subscription will automatically renew for on . For more details on our payment terms and how to cancel, click here.

Interested in a group subscription?
Finish setting up your subscription