- Helping people will ultimately be the truth in long-term business relationships and an ever-evolving client base.
- People who understand you create you.
- The biggest change in real estate is going to be the international buyer increase.
Welcome to “Letters from,” a column that examines the intimate thoughts of members of the real estate industry.
Name: Robert Purdy
Role: VP sales, North America Juwai.com
Years in business: 12
1. Why did you get into this business?
I was in the U.S. Air Force for 12 years and then [the] mortgage business and had experience with real estate agents and brokers. [It was] divine intervention through those fields and people who new me.
These people sent me information on realtor.com, where I worked for seven years, and then [I] was asked to join the awesome family of Juwai.com to grow the U.S. markets.
I now help agents, brokers, builders, developers, commercial brokers and agents to attract the ever-growing audience of Chinese property buyers globally.
2. What is the biggest challenge you face right now in your business?
[The] biggest challenge is having Realtors and brokers see the end result in the largely growing audience of Chinese property buyers and the value of advertising in the space as an additional revenue stream.
3. What do you know now that you wish you had known when you first started the business?
That the real estate market is a people business, and listings are the end game. Helping people will ultimately be the truth in long-term business relationships and an ever-evolving client base.
4. Who has made the biggest positive impact on your business?
The biggest impact in my business has come from Max Pigman. He was my boss at realtor.com, and [he] taught me that perseverance, hard work and willingness to do better will always be the reasons you succeed.
Also, he showed me that the people who understand you create you. He also taught me that leadership is being able to allow those who work hard for you to work — not be distracted by trivial nonsense.
5. What is one thing someone could do to help you in your business?
Controlling my passion and energy and being able to turn it up or down when needed — this [would] help me listen more and allow me to grow as a value added consultant.
6. What tool has made the biggest positive impact on your business?
Lead with value and truly care about the person’s needs you are trying to help and that will bring more customers then focusing on a sale.
7. What do you think is going to be the biggest change in real estate in the next five years?
The biggest change in real estate is going to be the international buyer increase, which in turn, will help put the human back in real estate.