We’ll add more market news briefs throughout the day. Check back to read the latest.
- Single-family housing unit authorizations in August were at a rate of 737,000, 3.7 percent above July 2016.
- Single-family housing starts in August were at a rate of 722,000, this is 6.0 percent below July.
- Single-family housing completions in August were at a rate of 752,000; 0.3 percent below July.
- The market for existing-home sales is underperforming its potential by 5.6 percent.
- In August, the market potential for existing-home sales grew 1.08 percent month-over-month.
- Potential existing-home sales increased to 5.78 million, 91.9 percent above the December 2008 market bottom.
Home equity rates:
Most recent market news:
- The index jumped to its highest point since October 2015, rising six points to 65.
- This is up from a downwardly revised August reading of 59.
- The index measuring traffic of prospective buyers posted a four-point gain to 48.
- Home sales increased 5.8 percent year-over-year in August 2016.
- The median home price was up 5.1 percent year-over-year to $225,900.
- Inventory in August averaged 3.4 months’ supply — 6 months is considered a balanced market.
Email market reports to firstname.lastname@example.org.