So, in working on a presentation that I have to give next week, I wondered if a little humor might keep the audience’s attention, especially since said presentation takes place at 8 a.m. on a Thursday morning. So, digging into my bag of “you ain’t gonna believe this one” stories, I found that real estate has been a very, very educational profession. I’ve learned a LOT. So, I thought I would share 20 of the best here.
1. I learned that it is possible for a man to cancel his sale the day before closing, citing the reason for the cancellation is that he is leaving his 8 1/2-month-pregnant wife to go live with his girlfriend. And could he get his earnest money back.
3. If a house is empty, except for one Oriental rug, you can bet that rug hides an ugly stain.
4. Some people drink to excess at 10 a.m. and sit naked in their living room while you show their house.
5. The sink will spring a leak one hour before closing.
6. The painter will flush the toilet as he leaves the vacant house on Friday afternoon. The neighbor will see water rushing from the house Sunday after church.
8. Not everyone should buy a house.
9. If people say they will “get back to you,” you will never see them again.
10. Some people cannot make a decision.
11. Some people have no problem telling you way more about themselves, even if you don’t ask.
12. Handcuffs on the bedpost are not a selling point. Neither are blow-up dolls in the closet or sex toys on the dresser. File this under too much information.
13. Alligators sunning themselves in the backyard are not appealing to the couple carrying two small children. Don’t try to talk it up, Mrs. Seller.
15. HGTV is fantasy. No one just looks at three houses.
16. There are real hoarders. It’s not just a show.
18. A lot of people in this business don’t know what they are doing and don’t care that they don’t know.
19. Real estate is easy to get in to, but being successful at it takes a LOT of work.
20. This wonderful business will get in your blood. It’s difficult. It’s challenging. It’s maddening. But it’s a heck of a good way to make a living.