The top 10 reasons to get out of the real estate business line up with the top 10 reasons to get out of any business:
- I am in it for the money. If you are in the real estate business because you think/know that a lot of money can be made, you are in the wrong business. Yes, it is true, a lot of money can be made, but not without the sincere professional efforts of a dedicated agent.
- I can make my own schedule. Yes, this is true. In real estate you can make your own schedule, but if you think you don’t need a schedule that you keep to, you are in the wrong business.
- It is easy work. Yeah, right! Any profession that demands as varied and deep an understanding of various types of information as real estate does is never “easy.”
- I am a “people person.” If you like people you just might not want to be in the real estate business. As an agent, you are directly in line for abuse when things go wrong. It is your fault and they are going to tell everyone.
- People like me. Well, read Nos. 4 and 3. It is guaranteed that people will not like you when you don’t give them exactly what they want, when they want it. Don’t get into this business because people like you — they won’t.
- I have been hired onto a good team. While surrounding yourself with like-minded professionals working at the top of their game is crucial to success, it does not dictate your personal success. You need to develop your own skills and abilities. This is your work, not theirs.
- I am good at marketing. We all know that marketing is crucial for a successful real estate business. Internet marketing is even more important, but if this is your only skill you will be whistling down a lonely path.
- I was hired by the top agency. Well, every agency says it is the top agency. Every agency has statistics that show how it is at the top of this or that. It is never about the agency — it is always about the professional.
- I am a hard worker. This is not everyone’s mantra, but there are agents who come into the business with a hard-working attitude. While this is important, it is more about working smart and consistently than working hard.
- My manager has promised to train me. Your manager’s job is to get you in the door and producing. Once you are in the door and doing some of the things you are supposed to do, the manager is off recruiting and promising to train the next recruit. Being a professional is about your goals, focus and consistent efforts. Without that, you are just another warm body paying rent to your office.
The real reason to be a real estate agent is because you love what you do. You are willing to put the time, effort and energy into constantly getting better, smarter and more knowledgable. There are far more downs than ups in real estate at the beginning. While it may not be easier, I can think of nothing I would rather do in my life.