The amount of information shared at ICNY was, even for a trained tech-conferenceite, nearly overwhelming. It felt like drinking from a fire hydrant, to say the least. With so many outstanding sessions, speakers and vendors in Start-Up Alley, you might have gone home feeling just a wee bit paralyzed regarding implementation. Yet fear not, with a plan, you’ll be up and running in no time.
Top 6 Steps to Implementing the best Take-Aways (for YOU) from ICNY
6. Make a list of the areas in your business where you could benefit most from improvement. For some, this might be lead generation, for others it may be conversion and for others, it may be kicking off a social media strategy. Jott down all the places where you are feeling weak and then circle the three most important ones that will affect your bottom line the quickest.
5. Go back through your ICNY notes, the tweets via the #ICNY hashtag on Twitter and the live blog and video available on www.next.inman.com and make special note when the info shared will help impact your top three areas needing immediate improvement.
4. Reach out to a friend or two who attended ICNY and see if they would like to do the same and then spend some time via chat, skype, phone etc. going over both your top three areas and the take-aways that you feel will help you the most. Just having that second set of eyes and ears might help bubble to the surface a few more apps, suggestions or tips from ICNY that you may have missed (either because you were taking mad notes or because they were in a different breakout session than you were)
3. Make an implementation game plan for the next four weeks where you will spend time researching and implementing the action areas and the tools you learned at ICNY you have matched with them. If you are masterminding with a fellow ICNY attendee, share your plan with them and see if they think it is reasonable. Implementation of new ideas is like a weight loss plan, if you are too ambitious, you may become discouraged and give up. Be bold but be reasonable with your plan.
2. Carve out time each week on your calendar to actually put your plan into action. Do this at the time of day when you are most fresh and sharp as well as have fewer distractions. For some this is early in the day and for others this will be late at night.
1. Just do it! Get going by putting those few key steps to work, once you feel like you’ve had some success, you’ll be more encouraged to keep at it. Don’t get sidetracked by every shiny new object that you learned about, stick to your three hot areas and the best tools to get them running smoothly.
If, and only if, you implement the money maker tools of your plan should you allow yourself to move on to the fun, ancillary apps, sites and ideas. Think of them as dessert, which you are only allowed after you have had your full meal, including your vegetables. Stay focused on what will actually impact your business the most, and the fastest, and not what may just be cool or fun.
Implementing the best take-aways you learned at ICNY is like eating an elephant, you do it one bite at a time [and you do it with an action plan]. (Tweet This)
Also Read/Look at:
Check out some of other amazing Instagram photos from Connect NYC
ICNY 2012 | Techs in the City
Live-Blogging from Connect NYC
The conference as an environment
Diving into the Mind of Today’s “Free Agent” [FIRST LOOK AT EXPLOSIVE DATA]
What were your takeaways? Tell us what and how you’ll execute in the comments below.