Get Inman via Facebook Messenger
Our top headlines delivered once a day.
by CareyBot

DEAR BOB: My husband and I own several investment properties. We plan to transfer a piece of each property to our daughter (20 years old) within a short period of time. What is the best way to transfer the property without having to pay gift tax? Also, what is the gift tax rate on gifts exceeding $10,000? – Janice L. DEAR JANICE: Please consult your tax adviser before you make any transfer. I think you are making a big mistake transferring investment property to a 20-year-old who has not earned it. Such a gift is not very smart and could cause major future problems. Purchase Bob Bruss reports online. You and your husband must file federal gift tax returns for any gifts exceeding $11,000 in a year per donor per donee (husband and wife can each give $11,000 annually to a donee witho...