Industry News

Real estate refinancings rise

Future-Proof: Navigate Threats, Seize Opportunities at ICNY 2018 | Jan 22-26 at the Marriott Marquis, Times Square, New York

Overall mortgage applications dropped 1.2 percent last week on a seasonally adjusted basis from the week before, as refinancings increased slightly, according to the Mortgage Bankers Association's weekly survey. There was an adjustment included in the seasonally adjusted indexes to account for the President's Day holiday, MBA reported. The seasonally adjusted purchase index decreased by 1.9 percent to 400.8 from 408.7 the previous week, whereas the refinance index increased by 0.1 percent to 1,573.5 from 1,571.4 one week earlier. The refinance share of mortgage activity decreased to 38.1 percent of total applications from 38.2 percent the previous week. The adjustable-rate-mortgage share of activity decreased to 28.3 percent of total applications from 29.1 percent the previous week. The average contract interest rate for 30-year fixed-rate mortgages decreased to 6.18 percent from 6.22 percent Points including the origination fee decreased to 1.19 from 1.23 for 80 percent loan-to-val...