Real estate titleholding method makes transfer difficult

Future-Proof: Navigate Threats, Seize Opportunities at ICNY 2018 | Jan 22-26 at the Marriott Marquis, Times Square, New York

DEAR BOB: Love your weekly articles, as I have learned so much from them about real estate. But I have a title problem with my home. My wife died almost two years ago. Since then, I have been trying to clear the title to our home into my name alone. But the local recorder of deeds refuses to accept my evidence of her passing, including a certified copy of her death certificate and an affidavit of my survivorship. I am told only the Probate Court can clear my title. Is this true? --Clarence B. DEAR CLARENCE: The exact legal answer depends on how you and your late wife held title to your home. Purchase Bob Bruss reports online. If you both held title as joint tenants with right of survivorship, as an attorney my experience has been all that is required to clear the title after a joint tenant passes on is a certified copy of the death certificate and an affidavit of survivorship by the remaining joint tenant. Perhaps you and your late wife held title by another method, such as tenants-in...