DEAR BOB: My parents died within four days of each other in 2005. In their will, their house was left to me. I am their only child. There is still a mortgage, which I have been paying. Can I have the title to this property changed to my name now although there is a mortgage? I am not able to pay off the mortgage balance. How do I handle this situation, as I want to have the title placed in my name and my husband’s name because we are living in the house and will want to sell it someday? –Terri R.

DEAR TERRI: Unless the estates of your parents qualify for an exception, their wills must be probated by the local Probate Court, which will transfer the title to you as the sole heir.

Purchase Bob Bruss reports online.

After you hold title, you should notify the mortgage lender to change the name on the mortgage to you. But the lender cannot call the mortgage due, nor can you be charged a mortgage assumption fee, because you are the offspring of the decedents and are living in the house.

Of course, keep making the monthly payments. After you hold the title in your name, then you can sign a quitclaim deed to your husband for a partial interest if you wish. For more details, please consult a local probate attorney.


DEAR BOB: My parents bought a riverfront property for $360,000 where they planned to build a large house. However, they had difficulty getting along with a neighbor so they decided not to build. Instead they are willing to give the lot to us. I think we can get along with the neighbor as we would build a much smaller house. But my concern is we will have inheritance or gift taxes to pay. Is there a way for them to give us this property without paying taxes? –Krista B.

DEAR KRISTA: Yes. Unless your parents have given away more than $1 million each in assets, no federal gift tax will be due. However, they must file a federal gift tax return with their federal income tax returns. The state where the lot is located might have a gift tax so check with your tax adviser about that.

But no inheritance tax will be due because nobody died.


DEAR BOB: You recently recommended a book whose author described how to deduct travel expenses when looking for investment property to purchase. What is the name of that book and the author? –Victor McD.

DEAR VICTOR: You will find that information in “Real Estate Tax Secrets of the Rich” by Sandy Botkin, CPA, Esq., on page 101. The book is available from local bookstores, public libraries and

However, to qualify for travel-expense deductions when searching for investment property, you must already own investment property. In other words, you can’t take a trip to Hawaii, look at a few potential investment property purchases, and deduct your expenses unless you already own investment property. For more details, please consult your tax adviser.

The new Robert Bruss special report, “Pros and Cons of Investing in Rental House and Condos,” is now available for $5 from Robert Bruss, 251 Park Road, Burlingame, Calif., 94010, or by credit card at 1-800-736-1736 or instant delivery at Questions for this column are welcome at either address.

(For more information on Bob Bruss publications, visit his
Real Estate Center

Show Comments Hide Comments


Sign up for Inman’s Morning Headlines
What you need to know to start your day with all the latest industry developments
By submitting your email address, you agree to receive marketing emails from Inman.
Thank you for subscribing to Morning Headlines.
Back to top
Only 3 days left to register for Inman Connect Las Vegas before prices go up! Don't miss the premier event for real estate pros.Register Now ×
Limited Time Offer: Get 1 year of Inman Select for $199SUBSCRIBE×
Log in
If you created your account with Google or Facebook
Don't have an account?
Forgot your password?
No Problem

Simply enter the email address you used to create your account and click "Reset Password". You will receive additional instructions via email.

Forgot your username? If so please contact customer support at (510) 658-9252

Password Reset Confirmation

Password Reset Instructions have been sent to

Subscribe to The Weekender
Get the week's leading headlines delivered straight to your inbox.
Top headlines from around the real estate industry. Breaking news as it happens.
15 stories covering tech, special reports, video and opinion.
Unique features from hacker profiles to portal watch and video interviews.
Unique features from hacker profiles to portal watch and video interviews.
It looks like you’re already a Select Member!
To subscribe to exclusive newsletters, visit your email preferences in the account settings.
Up-to-the-minute news and interviews in your inbox, ticket discounts for Inman events and more
1-Step CheckoutPay with a credit card
By continuing, you agree to Inman’s Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

You will be charged . Your subscription will automatically renew for on . For more details on our payment terms and how to cancel, click here.

Interested in a group subscription?
Finish setting up your subscription