DEAR BOB: My husband and I recently purchased our first home. Although we both earn good money, our credit isn’t so good. On the advice of our mortgage consultant, we obtained an interest-only 100 percent mortgage in my father’s name. Both of our names are on the title, but not on the mortgage. It was explained to us that in six months my father would sign a quitclaim deed and title will be in our names alone. Can my husband and I claim the tax deductions on the house although we are not listed on the mortgage? We will be making the payments. To do a quitclaim deed, must we refinance the mortgage in our names at that time? –Josette R.

DEAR JOSETTE: Because your names are on the title to your personal residence, you are obligated to pay the mortgage and property tax payments or lose the property by default. Therefore, you are entitled to claim itemized income-tax deductions for the mortgage interest and property taxes you pay.

Purchase Bob Bruss reports online.

Your name need not be on the mortgage obligation. Millions of U.S. homeowners own their homes “subject to” an existing mortgage that is not in their names. But they are the “beneficial owners” entitled to the itemized tax deductions for the mortgage interest and property taxes they pay.

However, you should get your father to sign and notarize the quitclaim deed now so it will be ready for recording (just in case anything should happen to him). For more details, please consult your tax adviser.


DEAR BOB: I own a beautiful old oak tree which overhangs the lot boundary with my neighbor. While we were away on vacation, he trimmed it back to the property line. Now the tree looks awful as it is unbalanced. When I confronted him, he said he was tired of the mess the tree made on his property. Does he owe us damages? –Margo W.

DEAR MARGO: Perhaps. The general rule is a property owner can trim a neighbor’s overhanging tree back to the property line. However, the tree trimming must be done with care so the tree does not die as a result.

If your tree dies due to the neighbor’s severe trimming of the overhanging branches, you could then sue him for the lost value of the tree. Let’s hope that doesn’t happen.


DEAR BOB: Does the 12-month long-term capital gain period for real estate begin to run when a firm purchase contract is signed by both parties or does it start on the date of the actual closing of the sale? –Bill B.

DEAR BILL: The 12-month long-term capital gains real estate holding period starts when the buyer becomes the beneficial owner with rights and obligations. This is usually the date the sale closes and the deed is recorded.

The date the purchase contract was signed is irrelevant. For full details, please consult your tax adviser.

The new Robert Bruss special report, “Pros and Cons of Investing in Rental Houses and Condominiums,” is now available for $5 from Robert Bruss, 251 Park Road, Burlingame, Calif., 94010, or by credit card at 1-800-736-1736 or instant Internet delivery at Questions for this column are welcome at either address.

(For more information on Bob Bruss publications, visit his
Real Estate Center

Show Comments Hide Comments


Sign up for Inman’s Morning Headlines
What you need to know to start your day with all the latest industry developments
By submitting your email address, you agree to receive marketing emails from Inman.
Thank you for subscribing to Morning Headlines.
Back to top
Only 3 days left to register for Inman Connect Las Vegas before prices go up! Don't miss the premier event for real estate pros.Register Now ×
Limited Time Offer: Get 1 year of Inman Select for $199SUBSCRIBE×
Log in
If you created your account with Google or Facebook
Don't have an account?
Forgot your password?
No Problem

Simply enter the email address you used to create your account and click "Reset Password". You will receive additional instructions via email.

Forgot your username? If so please contact customer support at (510) 658-9252

Password Reset Confirmation

Password Reset Instructions have been sent to

Subscribe to The Weekender
Get the week's leading headlines delivered straight to your inbox.
Top headlines from around the real estate industry. Breaking news as it happens.
15 stories covering tech, special reports, video and opinion.
Unique features from hacker profiles to portal watch and video interviews.
Unique features from hacker profiles to portal watch and video interviews.
It looks like you’re already a Select Member!
To subscribe to exclusive newsletters, visit your email preferences in the account settings.
Up-to-the-minute news and interviews in your inbox, ticket discounts for Inman events and more
1-Step CheckoutPay with a credit card
By continuing, you agree to Inman’s Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

You will be charged . Your subscription will automatically renew for on . For more details on our payment terms and how to cancel, click here.

Interested in a group subscription?
Finish setting up your subscription