Dad’s real estate gift to son raises red flag

Despite exemption, capital gains tax will likely be huge

The real estate event of the summer
Connect with other top producing agents at Connect SF, Aug 7-11, 2017

Editor's note: Robert Bruss passed away on Sept. 26, 2007. This was one of the last real estate columns he wrote. Inman News is publishing Bob's last work as a final salute to the nation's most well-known real estate writer. DEAR BOB: In 1995, I acquired a residential rental property through an Internal Revenue Code 1031 tax-deferred exchange. In 2000, I gave the property to my son and his wife for use as their principal residence. I filed a federal gift tax return for fair market value in 2000. My son and his wife have continually occupied the house for the past seven years. Do they qualify for the $500,000 principal-residence-sale exclusion and what is their cost basis for this property gift? --Melvin F. DEAR MELVIN: Thanks to Internal Revenue Code 121, if your son and daughter-in-law owned and occupied the property as their principal residence at least 24 of the last 60 months before its sale, then they can claim up to $500,000 tax-free capital gains (up to $250,000 fo...