Update wills when moving cross-country

Learn the New Luxury Playbook at Luxury Connect | October 18-19 at the Beverly Hills Hotel

DEAR BENNY: My elderly parents (dad is 90, mom is 86) had been living in Florida for the past 20 years, but due to bad health, I moved them to California. Do they need to change their wills or do the provisions still apply "as is"? I have power of attorney but would like to leave things as they are, if possible. --Beverly DEAR BEVERLY: Wills should be updated periodically, even if you live in the same state. But since your parents have moved to California -- where the laws may be quite different -- I believe it is best that your parents contact a local attorney and have them sign new wills. In my opinion, everyone over the age of majority should have at least four legal documents: a last will and testament, a durable power of attorney, a power of attorney for health, and a living will (also known as an advanced health care directive). Some people also have a separate power of attorney for financial matters. Different states have different procedural rules to make sure that a will is va...