Andrea Geller, broker associate for Sudler Sotheby’s International Realty in Chicago, Ill., and creator of the HotPropertyChicago.com blog, will share her views on mastering social media during a session at the one-day Agent Reboot conference in Chicago on Wednesday, Oct. 6.
The event is the latest in a series of Agent Reboot conferences planned across the country.
She will share the stage with David Black of SocialMadeSimple, a social media marketing platform designed for real estate and mortgage professionals, and Greg Meyer of Gist, a contact management tool that pools information from a variety of sources.
Geller joined Sudler Sotheby’s International Realty in 2006 and has served on the board of directors for the Chicago Association of Realtors since 2007.
She responded to a set of questions posed by Inman News:
1. What is the most important business lesson you learned in the past year?
It’s a whole new ballgame. It doesn’t matter how I did my business five years ago.
2. What inspired you to pursue your current career path?
My sister. I moved back to Chicago and hated what I was doing. She comped me the pre-licensing real estate class she was teaching.
3. Share a personal experience or anecdote about buying, selling, owning or renting a home.
Know when to buy. Know when to sell. I learned that lesson from a good friend of mine. Your home is not any more special because it is yours.
4. What’s the coolest technology you’ve discovered this year, and how are you using it?
The iPad. I’m getting so much more done between things in the middle of the day. I’m not staying up late to catch up.
5. What is your advice for real estate industry professionals to thrive in this market?
Use technology effectively and keep thinking outside of the box to get the deals done. Know when to cut your losses with clients.
6. What is your favorite non-work-related hobby?
7. Who is your hero, and why?
That changes based on where I am.
8. What do you view as the biggest problem facing the real estate industry today, and how would you fix it?
Professionalism. A higher level of mandatory continuing education (is needed) both from the state (regulators) and National Association of Realtors.
9. What do you hope to learn at the Agent Reboot event?
A lot. I have followed (the events) … and have gotten great info and established new connections even though I was not physically there.
10.Tell us something we don’t already know about you.
If I had been to Europe earlier in my life, I would have probably not come back.