- The majority of American homeowners (88 percent) feel confident in knowing how to upkeep their homes.
- Fifty-nine percent of millennial owners think they're better than a pro at home maintenance. But most aren't.
- A lack of knowledge doesn't stop many from tackling home improvement problems; 67 percent of homeowners have tried to do a major home project -- without a pro.
Time is money, and no one wants to spend more of either. But there are ways to stay ahead of costly repairs that could result in DIY fails — or worse — insurance claims.
Here are 5 expert tips on how to become a home maintenance maven.
- Set aside an annual budget of 1 percent of your home’s value for just-in-case situations.
- Hire credible professionals to ensure home maintenance projects are done right.
- Learn which projects are appropriate for DIY-oriented homeowners.
- Clean, inspect and check home maintenance systems on a regular basis to avoid claims.
- Know what your homeowners insurance policy covers and what it doesn’t.
This infographic was contributed by Esurance.
Article image credited to bikeriderinlondon / Shutterstock.com