The Main Street Lending program will provide four-year loans to businesses with fewer than 10,000 employees.

The U.S. Federal Reserve and U.S. Department of Treasury revealed details Thursday of a $600 billion initiative to provide four-year loans to support small and mid-sized businesses.

Through the Main Street Lending program, businesses employing fewer than 10,000 employees, with revenues south of $2.5 billion, that were in good financial standing before the crisis, will be eligible to apply for four-year loans, with principal and interest payments deferred for one year.

The announcement came as part of a total $2.3 trillion plan to provide relief and in some cases more liquidity to small businesses, local governments and lending institutions participating in the Small Business Administration’s Paycheck Protection Program (PPP).

“Our country’s highest priority must be to address this public health crisis, providing care for the ill and limiting the further spread of the virus,” Federal Reserve Board Chair Jerome Powell said in a statement. “The Fed’s role is to provide as much relief and stability as we can during this period of constrained economic activity, and our actions today will help ensure that the eventual recovery is as vigorous as possible.”

Eligible banks can either originate loans using the program or increase the size of existing loans, but the bank only retains a 5 percent share with the remaining 95 percent belonging to the Main Street facility, which will purchase up to $600 billion in loans, providing that liquidity.

The businesses seeking the loans must commit to making reasonable efforts to maintain workers and payroll, while following compensation, stock repurchase and dividend restrictions created under the CARES Act.

“The Main Street Business Lending Program will make a significant difference for the 40,000 medium-sized businesses that employ 35 million Americans,” Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin said in a statement. “This important Main Street initiative complements the robust relief efforts already underway such as the Paycheck Protection Program, Employee Retention Credits, and Economic Impact Payments, while protecting taxpayer funds.”

Businesses that have participated in the PPP can also apply for the Main Street Lending program.

Email Patrick Kearns

Show Comments Hide Comments
Sign up for Inman’s Morning Headlines
What you need to know to start your day with all the latest industry developments
By submitting your email address, you agree to receive marketing emails from Inman.
Thank you for subscribing to Morning Headlines.
Back to top
Only 3 days left to register for Inman Connect Las Vegas before prices go up! Don't miss the premier event for real estate pros.Register Now ×
Limited Time Offer: Get 1 year of Inman Select for $199SUBSCRIBE×
Log in
If you created your account with Google or Facebook
Don't have an account?
Forgot your password?
No Problem

Simply enter the email address you used to create your account and click "Reset Password". You will receive additional instructions via email.

Forgot your username? If so please contact customer support at (510) 658-9252

Password Reset Confirmation

Password Reset Instructions have been sent to

Subscribe to The Weekender
Get the week's leading headlines delivered straight to your inbox.
Top headlines from around the real estate industry. Breaking news as it happens.
15 stories covering tech, special reports, video and opinion.
Unique features from hacker profiles to portal watch and video interviews.
Unique features from hacker profiles to portal watch and video interviews.
It looks like you’re already a Select Member!
To subscribe to exclusive newsletters, visit your email preferences in the account settings.
Up-to-the-minute news and interviews in your inbox, ticket discounts for Inman events and more
1-Step CheckoutPay with a credit card
By continuing, you agree to Inman’s Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

You will be charged . Your subscription will automatically renew for on . For more details on our payment terms and how to cancel, click here.

Interested in a group subscription?
Finish setting up your subscription