No one can predict the future of real estate, but you can prepare. Find out what to prepare for and pick up the tools you’ll need at Virtual Inman Connect on Nov. 1-2, 2023. And don’t miss Inman Connect New York on Jan. 23-25, 2024, where AI, capital and more will be center stage. Bet big on the future and join us at Connect.
This story was updated Sept. 29, 2023.
Facetime with clients is so important, especially in a challenging market. Checking in on clients is both reassuring, and it reminds them that you’re still in the business, helping people buy and sell homes when they’re ready. A pop-by is a non-salesy way to get face-to-face with clients, and they’re pretty simple to pull off. All you need is a cute idea and a plan. Here are fourteen fall festive ideas to get you started.
- Hot cider packets with a note: “Mulling over the housing market? Call me for some in-Cider information! I can help!”
- Apple or pumpkin pie with a note: “Any way you slice it, you’re a blessing of a client! Thank you!”
- Pie cutter/server with a note: “For all your real estate questions or needs, I am here to serve! Thanks for being a great client!”
- Bag of apples with a note: “You’re the pick of the crop! Thank you for being such a great client!”
- Mini bundt cakes with a note: “Nothing BUNDT thankful for you! I’m here for you!”
- Bottle of pumpkin spice cold brew with a note: “Your referrals are pumpkin spice and everything nice! Thank you for your business!”
- Jar of cranberry chutney with a note: “Have a BERRY Happy Holiday! Thank you for your business and referrals!”
- Scented candles (pumpkin, apple, cinnamon) with a note: “Lighting the way to your real estate dreams! Call me anytime!”
- Fall leaf decor or garland with a note: “Falling for your continued support! Thanks for trusting me with your real estate needs.”
- Maple syrup bottle with a note: “Tapping into the best deals for you! Thanks for being such a sweet client.”
- Pumpkin carving kit with a note: “Carving out the best real estate opportunities for you! Happy Fall!”
- Bunch of corn stalks or corn on the cob with a note: “Corny as it sounds, I’m always here to help with your real estate needs!”
- Fall cookie cutters (in the shape of leaves, pumpkins, etc.) with a note: “Shaping your real estate dreams into reality! Let’s chat soon.”
- Loaf of Pumpkin or Banana Bread with a note: “Rising to meet all your real estate expectations! Thank you for your continued support.”
The science of smile stops
We call these SMILE stops — not just drop-bys — because service and smiling are such a big part of our culture. Here’s what the SMILE stands for:
S: Service (focus on service, not selling)
M: Meet face-to-face
l: Invite them to share their needs by asking questions
L: Leave behind a token of gratitude
E: Elevate the relationship
When you smile at someone and they respond to that smile, oxytocin is released in the brain, which creates a sense of trust which builds the more you smile. What does that mean for you? People feel more comfortable making important decisions when oxytocin levels are up. Several other studies have shown that when a person is intentionally trusted by another (even a stranger), the oxytocin increases their ability to work in a partnership, and work more efficiently and with more excitement to reach their shared goals.
Then we have serotonin. It’s generated when you have a sense of accomplishment. When you are skilled at what you do – when you know your business inside and out, and you know what good you do for your clients, serotonin boosts your confidence level.
By taking the time to recognize and appreciate the contributions of your clients in shaping your business and consistently being there for them when they require a little extra help, you forge a strong foundation of trust and create a client for life.